No food tantalizes our taste buds more than a bowl of soup. It warms you up and satisfies those niggling hunger pangs too. But how much do we really know about our favorite meal?
Here are six Souper trivia facts:
– The word soup comes from the French soupe which translates as soup or broth. And this derives from the Vulgar Latin suppa, bread soaked in gruel. The word soup most probably comes from the bread over which this broth was poured, called a sop or sup.
– The earliest recorded archaeological evidence for the consumption of soup goes all the way back to 6000 BC. Apparently, our ancestors enjoyed coming home to a delicious serving of hippopotamus soup.
– Americans consume more than 10 billion bowls of delicious soup every year. The fairer sex is more than twice as likely to order soup for lunch as their male counterparts.
– Soup was so important in the Ottoman army (the Janissary Corps) that the çorbaci (soup man) held a military rank equivalent to colonel.
– Blue-eyed crooner, Frank Sinatra is reputed to have always asked for chicken and rice soup to be provided before he went on stage. He claimed it cleared his mind and settled his digestion.
– Pottery remains recently found by archaeologists, reveal that the Japanese were cooking seafood and fish soup as long as 15,000 years ago.
One fact for sure though, soup is a great way to feed your family with healthy, vegetable-packed meals. So, ditch those canned soups from the local store and get cooking.
Let’s Get Cooking! Scroll Back Up and Grab Your Copy Today!
Click the Download with 1-Click Button at the top right of the screen or “Read FREE with Kindle Unlimited” now!